Baked Apples & Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes
Grill up two tasty desserts perfect for ending your next campfire dinner on a sweet note.
No camping dinner is complete without dessert. While s’mores might be the standard, this how-to video offers two grilled dessert alternatives that might make you want to leave the marshmallows at home. Watch, learn and add these to your next camping menu!
- Granny smith apples
- Pat of butter (one for each apple)
- Brown sugar
- Cinnamon candies
- Core each apple leaving the bottom intact.
- In the hollowed core, add a pat of butter and a tablespoon of brown sugar. Top with caramels, cinnamon candies or other ingredients to taste.
- Wrap each apple in aluminum foil – add a double layer for hotter coals.
- Place apples on coals, rolling every five minutes. Cooking time varies depending on heat; apples take anywhere from 10 – 30 minutes to bake.
Recipe adapted from KOA camper, Chris Conn of Erie, Pa. Try this suggestion from Chris, “If you are lucky enough to have a freezer, you could add ice cream when you serve. We have also enjoyed them with a whipped topping or cheese!”
Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes
- 6 – 8 glazed or cake doughnuts
- 1 can pineapple rings
- 12 – 16 pats of butter (two for each doughnut)
- Brown sugar
- Maraschino cherries
- Prepare a large square of aluminum foil for each serving.
- Place a pat of butter in the center of each foil square and top with a pineapple ring and doughnut.
- Fill the hole of each doughnut with a tablespoon of brown sugar before adding another pat of butter and a maraschino cherry.
- Close foil over the top of each doughnut and twist to secure.
- Place on campfire grill over low heat and cook 5 – 10 minutes until warmed throughout.
Recipe adapted from KOA camper, Liz Willis of Stockton, CA. Liz adds, “My kids like to make their own and twist the foil into a shape they will recognize as their own. Then I add them to the grill to cook while we eat dinner. This also means the coals are cooler. The best part? No mess to clean up!”
Looking for more great recipes? Visit our collection of favorite camping recipes submitted by campers just like you!