Chuck’s RV Insurance Answers: Getting Insurance on a Temporary RV Residence

November 12, 2012

Dear Chuck,

My husband and I own a 2012 fifth wheeler and have been living in an RV park in Williamsburg, VA for approximately a year, until our house in North Carolina is sold. My husband is employed in Williamsburg and we have been in this particular park for three months. The rig can be moved and, next summer, we may do some traveling. But right now, it is stationary. I have not been able to secure insurance, other than as a rider on our auto policy. Can you offer any solution?

– Christine

Hi Christine,

It sounds like you and your husband are turning this fluctuating housing market into quite an adventure with some serious sightseeing along the way. First things first, make sure your policy is in order. You own the home in North Carolina, but your RV is now your primary residence. You’ll want to quote in Virginia to remove any confusion about where you primarily reside, as the campground is now your mailing address.

Based on the way you’re using the fifth wheel trailer, you really need to explore a specialized RV insurance policy. I’d recommend looking into Full Timer’s Coverage, similar to a homeowner’s policy for people who use their RV as a primary residence.

As a full timer, you have valuable additional coverage available to you, including:

Full Timer’s Personal Liability: pays up to specified limit for bodily injury and property damage for which the insured is legally responsible because of an accident.
Full Timer’s Medical Payment to others: pays up to $50,000 for medical expenses of others who’re injured because of an accident while on your property.
Loss Assessment Coverage: pays damages incurred to collective property owned via an association in which you reside and protection when acting as a director or officer in such an organization.
Full Timer’s Shed Contents Coverage: additional coverage for damages to belongings stored in covered storage units outside of your trailer.

When you’re traveling in the summer, ask your agent or insurer about exploring roadside assistance and vacation liability, since you’ll be spending considerably more time on the road.

Based on you and your husband’s driving records, respectively, you may be eligible for some discount options currently available to those who qualify, as well:

Paid in Full: pay the full amount of your policy up front and receive a discount on your insurance rate.
Prompt Payer: pay on time for a year and receive a discount when your policy renews.
Responsible Driver: if any drivers on your policy have no accidents or violations in the last three years, you’ll receive a discount on your RV insurance rate.

Enjoy your time together and the freedom available to you during your transition. Thanks for considering Progressive, best wishes and safe travels.

– Chuck

Got an insurance question for Chuck? Email it to and he’ll answer his favorites.


Chuck Mozingo enjoys RVing with his wife, two kids and their dog Scout. They enjoy RVing locally in Cleveland, as well as heading north to Whittier, Alaska to their favorite spot, Williwaw Campground. When RVing, Chuck can’t live without his iPod, s’mores and family thumb war tournaments. When he’s not hitting the open road, Chuck is the RV Product Manager for Progressive Insurance, where he has worked for nearly 20 years.

Getting the Best Rate? Get a Free Quote and See