Chuck’s RV Insurance Answers: Temporary Hurricane Shelter

October 5, 2012

Dear Chuck,

My name is Jill and I live in Waggaman, Louisiana, not too far outside New Orleans. Hurricane season is upon us and, after living first-hand through some pretty tough storms, my husband and I are seriously considering buying an RV so we can get out of our home without worrying about having to find a hotel. I also thought this could be a good idea since we’re almost ready to retire and could use the RV to travel. So I guess I have two questions:

1). Do I need RV insurance since I’m only using it for temporary refuge?

2). If the answer is yes, what kind do I need since this is kind of a seasonal vehicle and not something we’ll be using year-round? Will that change if we decide to use the RV to travel when we retire?


Hi Jill,

I’m sorry for the hurricane horror stories that you and so many others have had to live through in the past few years. The weather cycles we’ve been experiencing are historic to say the least, and you and your husband are smart to look at alternatives to keep you safe.

I suspect you know the answer to your first question, which is “yes.” An RV is a major investment and you should protect it from top to bottom. With a Progressive RV insurance policy, you’ll be able to get the coverage you need along with expert claims service and 24/7 help from our RV insurance specialists.

For your second question, I’d start by talking to your agent or insurer about the basics:

• Liability Coverage, which helps cover costs if you cause damage to someone else’s vehicle or property. If your RV is a travel trailer, your primary liability exposure arises from guests using the trailer or area around the trailer. For these potential damages, you should carry vacation liability coverage. If your RV is a motorhome, you’ll also need vehicle liability coverage, similar to the coverage you carry on your personal auto.

• Comprehensive and Collision Coverage, which helps cover expenses incurred by most accidents, including hitting an object, fire and vandalism to your vehicle.

• Personal Effects, Roadside and Emergency Vacation Expense Coverage. Personal effects coverage provides coverage for all the personal belongings you carry with you (significant, if you need to travel for long periods or “full time” in your unit). Roadside and emergency vacation expense provide coverage if you’re away from home and incur a loss. Those coverages help you if you have a loss and need temporary living expenses.

Stay safe,
– Chuck

Got an insurance question for Chuck? Email it to and he’ll answer his favorites.

Getting the Best Rate? Get a Free Quote and See


Chuck Mozingo enjoys RVing with his wife, two kids and their dog Scout. They enjoy RVing locally in Cleveland, as well as heading north to Whittier, Alaska to their favorite spot, Williwaw Campground. When RVing, Chuck can’t live without his iPod, s’mores and family thumb war tournaments. When he’s not hitting the open road, Chuck is the RV Product Manager for Progressive Insurance, where he has worked for nearly 20 years.