Coconut Sweet Potatoes
Add a fun twist to a holiday staple with this sweet potato recipe.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup tasted pecans, for garnish
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut, for garnish
- Add potatoes to a large pot of boiling, salted water and cook until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Thoroughly mash with a masher, ricer or electric mixer. Add coconut milk, sugar or syrup, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and pepper and mash again. Spoon into serving dish and garnish with pecans and toasted coconut.
Note: To make ahead, spoon into a serving dish, omit garnish, cover and refrigerate. To reheat, cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until thoroughly heated. Remove foil, top with garnishes and serve.